This week we are going to be taking advantage of one of the most beautiful root vegetables – the purple potato to remake a holiday classic. We’re spicing the classic sweet potato pie with a little twist. First we’ll substitute sweet potatoes for colorful purple potatoes, and for the grown folks – we’re going to add a shot of brandy which adds another layer of seasonal flavor.
Making your own pie crust could be very rewarding but very time consuming, so in order to save time we used a whole wheat pie crust we bought from the store. This gave us plenty of time to focus on the pie filling.
Purple Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
- 1 ¼ pounds of purple sweet potatoes scrubbed and washed -1 can of low-fat evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter cooled
- 2 tablespoons of brandy
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
Quick & Easy Recipe For Purple Sweet Potato Pie
- Start with pricking sweet potatoes all over with a fork and microwave on high until tender all the way to the center 10 to 15 minutes OR If you feel more comfortable baking them in the oven 425 degrees for about an hour until tender all the way to the center.
- Scoop out the potato into a food processor and discard the skins.
- Pulse until smooth and add evaporated milk, brown sugar, eggs, butter, brandy, vanilla,nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Puree until very smooth scraping down the sides as needed.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake the pie until puffed and just firm in the center for about 50 to 55 minutes.
- Lastly let the pie cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.