So you’re heading to a party, you need to bring a dish – look no further! We have the perfect-for-every-event dish to bring – Swedish Meatballs. Even if you never made them before you are going to love them. They’re easy to make and truly a savory treat. They true beauty in this dish is that they can be served either with a toothpick (KETO!) or even over noodles or brown rice in a small serving bowl.
These little babies are protein packed and deliciously impressive! Let’s get started!
Quick & Easy Recipe For Swedish Meatballs
- In a large, deep sauté pan heat the oil on medium heat and then add the onions for about 3 minutes. Next add the garlic to your onions for approximately another 1-2 minutes, (you should see the onions becoming translucent and the garlic gently browning. Be careful not to burn your garlic.)
- Now add the celery and parsley and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Set it aside and let the mixture cool.
- Then in a large bowl combine the beef, egg, cooled down onion mixture you just made, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and the allspice.
- Now you’re ready to mix everything together and form the meatballs in your hands. (You should be visualizing them about the size of a whole walnut.) You’re looking to get about (24) small meatballs out of your mixture. While making them, it’s easiest to temporarily lay them down on a parchment lined cookie sheet so they won’t stick.
- Begin heating the beef stock on the stove top in the original pan. Bring it to boil and then reduce heat to medium low once its reached temperature. Now slowly drop in meatballs. Cover meatballs cooking in stock for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooked remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon and set aside in a serving dish.
- Now strain the stock to clear and prep it for a sauce base. Add both stock and cream cheese to a blender. Pulse until smooth. Return the stock to pan, simmer a few minutes to thicken. Once thickened, pour your sauce over meatballs already plated in serving dish.
- Lastly, garnish with your finely chopped parsley and serve. Remember, this dish can be served two ways: either over egg noodles for a small savory starter or simply with tooth picks if you prefer to set them out as a simple appetizer.
Swedish Meatballs: The Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon – extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion – minced
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 1 celery stalk – minced
- 1/4 cup parsley – finely chopped (leave aside a pinch or two for garnish)
- 1 pound – lean ground beef
- 1 jumbo egg
- 1/4 cup – seasoned breadcrumbs (make your own or store bought, whichever is more convenient)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon – allspice
- 2 cups – reduced sodium beef stock
- 2oz – light cream cheese