Today on Cooking With Sensei, we’re going “Italian style” but with a healthy twist! There’s nothing more comforting than having a warm meal especially when it’s topped with melted cheese.
Now being Italian myself, I grew up with the smell of food on my clothes and it was even worse when my parents were frying something up. Fast forward to the present and my house now is a “no fry zone”. In our recipe today, baking is the preferred cooking method, and for a good reason.
My mission is to make food healthy, tasty, and most of all, well balanced with the right ratio of macros. As you’ll see switching out all purpose flour for whole wheat flour or regular bread crumbs for whole wheat bread crumbs are just a couple of ways we can adjust some of the classics.
This is what you’ll need….
Cooking With Sensei – Eggplant Chicken Parm
- 2 lbs of sliced chicken breast
- 1 large eggplant sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 can of olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (mine is Cucina Antica)
- 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Make your dredging station with 3 large bowls, in the first bowl combine flour, garlic powder, dried parsley, salt and pepper then mix well; in the second bowl beat the eggs; in the third bowl put bread crumbs in.
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices an pat dry with paper towels.
- Proceed to coat them first in the flour then the egg and last in the bread crumbs.
- Lay them flat on an oil sprayed baking sheet as well as a little spritz on each and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Repeat step 4 for chicken breast and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Above steps can be done day before….
- The last step is the assembly, layer eggplant, chicken, eggplant, sauce, cheese and baked in oven or for smaller batches use toaster oven for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
- Top with fresh basil & serve!