5 Fun Facts About Martial Arts
Think you know everything there is to know about martial arts? No matter how long you’ve been training, there’s always something new to learn. The ever-changing field of martial arts has a rich history. In fact, you may be surprised by some of these fun facts!
- Many of the martial arts we practice today originated in China, Japan and Korea. What most people don’t know is that the world has witnessed a variety of great fighters — from the Spartans to the Macedonians — who also trained in methodical fighting techniques and lived by a specific code of ethics.
- There are many more levels in martial arts training than just White Belt and Black Belt! Here they are, in order of beginner to expert: White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown, Red and Black.
- “Karate” is actually a combination of two words: kara (empty) and te (hand). The definition of karate, therefore, is self defense fighting with no weapons.
- Many people consider Bruce Lee to be the most influential martial artist in history. Why? Because he’s responsible for introducing Chinese martial arts to the entire world!
- Studying martial arts is known to greatly improve the lives of children living with ADHD. Kids who lack focus, have excess energy and tend to act out learn to channel those qualities into martial arts training.
Did you learn something new about martial arts by reading these facts? We sure hope so! We’d love to hear your fun facts as well, so be sure to share your thoughts with us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
For more information about Tiger Schulmann’s and where you can find a location near you, please give us a call at (800) 528-4437 today.