Last Updated on August 22, 2014.
Almost all kids have either been a victim of bullying them self or have seen it occur to another child
The following are a list of statistics that are both shocking and troubling to read. Parents should be aware of these statistics as we start off a new school year. Keep these in mind and look for the potential signs of bullying in your child. Keep the line of communication open between you and your child as to what they tell you they see at school and what they experience. Remember that most kids are embarrassed by being bullied and will not speak up on their own.
- · 30% of U.S. students in grades six through ten are involved in moderate or frequent bullying — as bullies, as victims, or as both.
- · 56% of students have personally witnessed some type of bullying at school.
- · 43% reportedly feared harassment in the bathroom at school
- · 30% of children between 8 and 11 reported that bullying is a big problem in school.
- · 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month
- · More bullying occurs on school grounds as opposed to on the way to school.
- · Bullying generally begins in the elementary grades, peaks in the sixth through eighth grades, and persists into high school.
- · Playground statistics: Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Adult intervention (4%), Peer intervention (11%), No intervention (85%)
Symptoms of bullying:
- · Acts moody, sullen, or withdraws from family interaction
- · Becomes depressed
- · Loses interest in school work, or grades drop
- · Loses appetite or has difficulty getting to sleep
- · Waits to use the bathroom at home
- · Arrives home with torn clothes, unexplained bruises
- · Asks for extra money for school lunch or supplies, extra allowance
- · Refuses to go to school
- · Wants to carry an item for protection
Impact on learning
- · Bullying affects everyone involved, even bystanders
- · An estimated 200,000 children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students.
- · 15% of all school absenteeism is directly related to fears of being bullied at school.
- Bullying can distract bullies, victims, and witnesses from learning.
- Bullies who are plotting their next attack or victims who are consumed with anxiety and fear about their next encounter with a bully will have difficulty focusing on the lesson at hand.
Impact on later life
- · Bullying can lead the targeted children to feel tense, anxious and afraid.
- · Research shows that those who bully and are bullied appear to be at the greatest risk of experiencing the following: loneliness; trouble making friends; lack of success in school; and involvement in problem behaviors such as smoking and drinking.
- · Bullying will affect self-esteem; can increase social isolation, causing victims to become withdrawn & depressed, as well as anxious & insecure.
- · Bullying is increasingly viewed as an important contributor to youth violence, including homicide and suicide. Case studies of the shooting at Colombine High School and other U.S. schools have suggested that bullying was a factor in many of the incidents.
What can I do about bullying to protect my child?
If you are concerned that your child is involved in some type of bullying or if you just want to make sure that they have the tools necessary to stop it if it occurs, we can help. Tiger Schulmann’s Mixed Martial Arts training helps kids to not only have the skills they need to protect them self at school, but the confidence to stand up for them self in the face of bullying. Fill out the form at the top right as soon as possible and we will contact you for a first FREE class and orientation .
Kids learn how to stand up for them self when confronted with bullying in school, and most importantly how to fight back
“Tiger Schulmann’s teaches kids the skills to stop bullying from the first day it occurs”
Call Tiger Schulmann’s Mixed Martial Arts of Wayne NJ at (973)988-1207
LIKE us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/TigerSchulmannsWayne
Follow us on Twitter- @TSMMAWayne
Tiger Schulmann’s of Wayne also serves neighboring towns Pequannock, Pompton Plains, Pompton Lakes, Riverdale, Butler, Kinnelon, Little Falls, Totowa, Lincoln Park, Montville, Towaco